Search This Blog

How do I know if I've been baptized with the Holy Spirit?

QUESTION: I have been praying for the baptism of the Holy Spirit, but nothing has happened yet. How do I know when I am baptized with the Holy Spirit? (I learned that speaking in tongues is not necessary.) Do I know for sure when the baptism of the Holy Spirit happens? Is it possible that I already had it but I didn't notice?

This is a common issue when dealing with the Baptism of the Holy Spirit—people wonder if they've truly received it. Some Christian groups attempt to solve this by simply telling people that if you've been given the gift of tongues you got it. The problem is, when people, such as yourself, desperately seek and want to be baptized with the Spirit they will do just about anything, including faking a spiritual gift just to convince themselves and others that it truly happened.

Let me interject at this point that I believe wholeheartedly in the Baptism of the Spirit as a thoroughly biblical truth and I have personally received this baptism including the gift of speaking in other tongues. However, the over-emphasis on receiving that one gift is not in keeping with the words of our Lord as recorded in Acts chapter 1. It is there that Jesus first spoke of the Baptism of the Spirit. He not only used that specific term, telling His disciples they would be "baptized with the Holy Spirit" (Acts 1:5)  but He also went on to describe how they would know they were recipients of this gift: "...you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses..." (Acts 1:8)

I can think of no more authoritative description of the Baptism of the Spirit than the one given by Jesus—it is all about receiving God's POWER TO BE HIS WITNESS. So power is the evidence of the Baptism of the Spirit—spiritual power.

So how do you know if you've received the Baptism? Exactly the same way you know you've received forgiveness of sins—by faith. Jesus promised that if you asked the Father, He would send His Holy Spirit (See Luke 11:13) Your responsibility is to receive that promise by faith and begin to walk it out. But remember this: the Baptism of the Spirit is not about feeling better or stronger. It's about empowering the child of God to be a witness for Jesus Christ. Again and again we see believers in the book of Acts calling on God to give them His power to shine their light for Christ—and God met them every time! (See Acts 4)

You prayed for God to baptize you with His Spirit. So why are you doubting? Because you're looking for something? If so, for what? You should be looking for power, because that's what Jesus told you would happen. Start praying for the Lord to manifest His unlimited power in your life and to use that spiritual dynamic to build the Kingdom and glorify His Name. As you pray, ask the Lord to build your faith so that you can lay hold of His promise without wavering. Keep reading Luke 11 and add Acts chapter 1 to it, and ask the Lord to imprint those promises on your heart.

God bless you!


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking time to answer my question, Pastor Paul!! I didn't have a dramatic experience like others, so I wasn't sure. Yes, you are right! Even though my experience of Baptism of Holy Spirit was not dramatic, I feel power that I didn't have before since that day. I am still weak, but I'll ask Him to fill me with His Spirit continually!! Thank you, Pastor Paul!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are empowered to Speak about to anyone then you may have endued with his Spirit already.. ' just my observation, I was scared to death to speak anything long ago but now I'm ready to giove an answer for the hope within me. most of the time :)

      Delete
  2. This is the perfect answer! Thank you! You can really drive yourself a little loopy looking for a "sign" and worrying. If God said it, it's so. And God bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I ask a question? When did you receive the gift of speaking in tongues? Was it the time when you are baptized? How did you use that gift? Can you control to speak it or not? Do you know what you were speaking when you speak? Is there any one beside you who translate what you said (this is what biblical way I think)? Does this gift of you help others to believe? Do you speak in tongues to God alone?

    What about healing and raise people from dead? Do you think these things still exist nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you email me directly I would be happy to answer all your questions. You can email me at paul@ccontario.com

      Delete
  4. This is the best answer I have heard all day. I find not mentioning tongues with the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a lot safer way because people will be more focused on the baptism in the Holy Spirit and find out for themselves what it means to them. I find it a great danger to teach tongues because lots of people end up focusing on the gift of tongues more then the gift of the Holy Spirit. Like you said, it can go as far as faking, speaking in tongues. You don't see verses explicitly mentioning tongues with the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. You see that tongues is a sign that you're baptized with the Holy Spirit just like being filled with joy, or boldness to preach, or prophesying are signs that you are baptized with the Holy Spirit. Even if you believe it is tongues, I warn anybody to keep that to yourself to avoid confusion, so that people can focus specifically on the baptism of the Holy Spirit and seek God for it.

    ReplyDelete