Search This Blog

Q&A: Can a believer ever become unsaved?

Q: Can a believer ever become unsaved?

A: Whenever I get asked this question, I find that I must first ask some questions of my own. People deserve a thoughtful response and not just a quick yes or no. So in an effort to do just that, I’m going to share and respond to what I have found to be the real concerns that often lurk behind this question.

Concern #1 The first version of what some are actually asking is: ”If I continue to make mistakes and fall into sin, is there a point where God will say, ‘That’s enough!’ and erase my name from the Book of Life?

 Quite simply, the answer is no. Let me explain why.

We must always keep in the forefront of our minds that we are saved by grace through faith. Jesus extends forgiveness of sins when we place our full confidence in His finished work on the cross. Sinful failures are always unfortunate but they are inevitable. And yet, God’s grace is greater still and the blood of Jesus Christ is a perpetual spring of cleansing and renewal.

Just remember…you didn’t receive salvation because of good works, and you can’t lose it because of sinful actions. Just know that the blood of Jesus keeps on cleansing us from all sin (1 John 1:7) according to the promise of 1 John 1:9. 

Concern #2 The second variation of this question goes like this: ”If I commit some sin and fail to confess it before I die, will God send me to Hell?

This question is closely related to the one we just looked at, and it comes from those who believe they must keep themselves saved by accurately and exhaustively confessing and repenting of every single misstep. Although this idea is held by far too many Christians, once again it’s just a thinly veiled version of salvation by works.

Confession of sin is important, to be sure, but as I said above, we are saved by placing our confidence in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross — not by flawlessly remembering and acknowledging each and every sin we’ve ever committed. 

Concern #3 The third version is a more straightforward question that wants to know: ”Is it possible for a born-again believer to go from a position of faith to one of unbelief?

As I study the Word of God, I find the New Testament filled with repeated warnings written to born-again believers about the possibility of abandoning faith in Jesus and walking away from Christ. 

If, as some confidently assert, that walking away from the Lord in unbelief isn’t a possibility, I would have to ask them why there are so many warnings about doing that very thing scattered throughout the New Testament? Warnings like: Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you — unless you believed in vain. 1 Corinthians 15:1–2  The word “if” in the passage above is vitally important to note because it introduces a conditional clause. We sometimes forget that although salvation is free, it is not unconditional. It is conditioned on faith. As the Apostle Paul states above, the continuation of faith is absolutely necessary. Furthermore, we can also see that the Apostle Paul believed it was possible to believe in vain.” 

Also, take note of his words in Galatians 5:

Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. vv. 2–4 

The Apostle believed that it was possible to ”fall away from grace.” But how? In this case, it was by adding circumcision as a requirement to salvation. This is what the believers in the Galatian churches were being tempted to do and Paul warned them that if they made that move, ”Christ will be of no advantage” to them. That warning was spoken to believers.

Finally, we also see that the author of Hebrews believed it was possible to “drift away” from the message of faith in Jesus Christ.

Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. Hebrews 2:1

I understand there are many sincere followers of Christ who passionately reject any idea of a true

believer ever walking away from the Lord in unbelief. I respect their position, but as I study the Word of God, I cannot embrace it because of repeated warnings by the New Testament authors about doing that very thing. As a Bible teacher, it is my responsibility to respectfully communicate the message of God’s Word without bias or partiality. 

So, can you lose your salvation due to sin? No! The Apostle Paul told us that nothing can separate us from the love of God in Jesus Christ our Lord (see Romans 8). 

Does someone who once confessed Christ as Savior have the freedom to turn away in unbelief and walk away from the Lord? The Bible suggests that is possible.


5 comments:

  1. Very good to lead folks to the WORD and not your opinion! That is why I love CALVARY'S teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and Amen, take every question back to the Living Word of God.

      Delete
  2. I agree. This is enlightening. Thanks Pastor Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asked this question several months ago- didn’t really get it , kept listening and studying and I remember listening to one study recently - can’t remember which one - just remember it was about how commercials play ad over and over. Pastor Paul goes over again and again “how are we saved ?” over and over and I finally had a V-8 moment about salvation being conditional on faith but free - faith in Jesus Christ finished work and get it how someone could walk away from their faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very well explained article on this question. I can testify that this is true and that someone can “drift away” “deny the faith” or maybe they never believed with their heart. This happened with my ex-husband about 5 years ago. He had gone to church, baptized, served in the church and when he fell into the cracks of unbelief he denied his faith and was completely against me. He decided that this journey of faith did not allowed him to do what he wanted so he became selfish, unloving and rejected everything and left the home and became an alcoholic.. For me it was choking and sent me into questioning my faith but through leaning on God through prayer for strength He sustain me all the way to get me back on my feet to sis twin my children financially and strengthen me like never before to sustain me in this trial. Through this my relationship with the Lord became closer and He has become my “husband”, my provider, my everything through trusting him in the process. I sought reconciliation for too long and the Lord spoke to me clearly through this scripture. It was not easy-There was a wreaking or conflict between my flesh and the Word because I never thought God’s will was for me to divorce him. But with much prayer and supplication and Godly counselor I came to the understanding that it was God’s will as I had done everything I could to reconcile to no avail. I did find a new freedom in Christ and now I just want to serve him and I trust him He will be with me and will never leave me nor forsake me. Trust the Lord, yield to His will and He will sustain you.

    Do Not Be Unequally Yoked 2 Corinthians 6:13-18
    13As a fair exchange, I ask you as my children: Open wide your hearts also. 14Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership can righteousness have with wickedness? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?…

    ReplyDelete